Thursday, January 6, 2011

The German Exchange

Dear Journal,
Living in Germany this past semester has been a life changing experience. I have seen what life is like for someone living across the Atlantic Ocean in Europe. Life is simple and very “eco-friendly” in Germany. I have been staying with a girl named Katerina. Back in America, many families (like mine) are very busy and do not have a lot of free time. I found out that about 25% of people in Germany have more free time. I have done a lot of bike riding and sightseeing on the weekends. The work ethic here is different. An average American with a job works about 1,797 hours per year. An employed person in Germany works about 1,344 hours per year. That’s about 453 more hours to find something to do then just work. Germany uses 46% less electricity than America. I tend to forget to turn off the TV or switch off a lamp light, but my Katerina's mother will not allow it to happen. Did you know that 50% less oil is here in Germany? The country only consumes at least 3.1331 gallons of oil per day. Plus, they spend 48% less money on healthcare. Lately, America is having a lot of problems with their healthcare system and has caused much stress on my family back home. Germany has only spent $3,465 for their system. Along with having the best economy in Europe, you would have an 11% better chance of being employed! America’s struggling economy has caused many people to lose their jobs, even some of my loved ones. I could only imagine some of the opportunities that the unemployed workers in the U.S. would have here.
Even though they are the 15th largest country in the world, Germany has 40% less babies than the U.S. The country has a crude birth rate, so only 8.21 people are being born for every 1,000 people. There is a better chance that an infant will not die at birth, and a better chance of a person living 1.17 years longer. All over the world, AIDS and HIV is a huge problem but only 0.10% of adults in Germany suffer from these diseases.

The architecture, landscape, and the culture has convinced me to come back someday. I have visited castles, cities, beautiful beaches, and even went to the Oktoberfest! Although I miss my family, I am sad to be leaving Germany and the friends I have made here. I’ll be heading back to Bel Air soon, I am making one more trip Berlin. We’ll be leaving for the train soon so I will write when I get home.
Chiemsee Lake
Schloss Neuschwanstwin Castle

Berlin


Hamburg
Teisenkopf Forest

All pictures retrieved from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment